TPI logo for printing
Tax Planner Interactive Bloomsbury Professional logo
Home > Growing a business > Transferring a sole trader or partnership business to a limited company
Parkes logo

Transferring a business to a limited company - introduction

Users without a subscription are not able to see or use the full content. Please subscribe or login through Bloomsbury Professional Online to access all content

When an individual transfers a business as a going concern to a company in exchange for shares, and the conditions of TCGA 1992, s. 162 are met, the whole or part of the gains will be postponed and will only become chargeable when the shares are disposed of.

The conditions of TCGA 1992, s. 162 are that:

  • the transferor is not a company;
  • the business is transferred as a going concern, together with all the assets of the business, or all the assets except cash; and
  • the consideration for the transfer is satisfied wholly or partly by an issue of shares to the transferor by the transferee company.

The relief, which is sometimes referred to as 'incorporation relief', is given automatically (subject to an election for it not to apply). It works by rolling the gains over against the cost of the shares.

The relief is not available to companies but it is available to partners.

A relief similar to that given by s. 162 is provided by TCGA 1992, s. 140 for a company resident in the UK which carries on a trade outside the UK and transfers that trade to a non-resident company.

Printer image Print this page for your records